7 Health Tips to Survive Christmas
Did you know that the average Britain puts on an average of 11 pounds over the Christmas period – remember it is a whole lot easier to put weight on that to lose it!
Christmas and New Year is the time of year when damage limitation needs to be brought into action. With that in mind, here are some tips to help you stay on track with your Christmas eating and drinking:
1. Start your day with a healthy breakfast. Good rule to follow: eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and supper like a pauper. Choose omelettes over cereal!
2. Curb your appetite. Drink water before every meal. Your brain can mistake dehydration for hunger. A good rule of thumb is to drink 1 litre for every 50lb you weigh per day
3. Slow down. Eat slower and taste your food. It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to recognize how much is in your stomach, don’t overeat!
4. Set goals for over the holidays. Read them first thing in the morning, throughout the day and before bed. Share these goals with somebody to help you stay accountable!
5. Don’t go anywhere hungry. Arrive at any holiday parties having already eaten something healthy. That way you won’t be too prone to digging into high-calorie party foods.
6. Decide how many drinks you are going to have before the party. Choose light and clear alcohol over dark, and alternate between an alcohol beverage (if you are drinking) and water (same goes for soda). Alcohol is liquid sugar and goes straight to the fat cells! Try not to drink your calories for the day!
7. Exercise on days you eat a holiday meal. Write a plan for your work outs over Christmas. Aim to exercise before a big meal. After exercise our bodies are more sensitive to insulin, which will help prevent the body storing ALL the excess calories as fat. E.g. think squats or lunges for 30s on and then 30s off for 4 mins and then switch to press-ups or tricep dips. Just excuse yourself to a bedroom/bathroom or get the family to join in 🙂
I’m quite strict when it comes to telling clients and boot camper members what to do to get fit and lose weight quickly, but in this case damage limitation is key!